> To Knit is Divine: Welcome to my new blog

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Welcome to my new blog

I've finally decided to take the plunge and join the vast world of knit blogs. I've been an avid reader of knitting blogs for the past few months. I've learned so much from them, and I hope I can contribute to the vast pool of knowledge out there. This is still a work in progress, and it may take me a little while to get into the swing of things, but you have to start somewhere, right?

A bit about me and knitting. I learned to knit from my mother at a young age (6ish, I think). My earliest recollection of knitting is making a Barbie wardrobe from the Patons Just for Dolls book. I'm sure I started with easier things first, but I don't remember them. My Barbie wardrope was made from gold and rust yarn (most likely acrylic) left over from an afghan my mother knit (hey, don't laugh. It was the 70s after all.

I knit throughout my childhood. When I was 16, I spent a year in Finland as an exchange student. The mother of my host family taught me to knit Continental. Once I got the hang of it, I've never returned to knitting English.

Over the years I've knit off and on. I've made sweaters for my nieces and nephews, the odd sweater for me, a few teddy bears here and there. I learned to crochet as well, and when I quit smoking in November 2003, I kept my hands busy by crocheting 3 afghans! But I was never an obsessed knitter.

But that all changed last fall. A couple of years ago a small group of us at work had a little weekly knitting club, but the group had fallen apart. We got it going again last September, and that's when I discovered all of the fabulous knitting resources on the Internet. I was searching for free patterns and discovered Knitty. As I perused the wonderful patterns, I saw the links to the designers' blogs. At that point I had sort of heard of blogging, but never read any and had no idea how many knitting blogs were out there. I got hooked. Although I always considered myself an accomplished knitter, I've learned more in the past few months of reading blogs than I ever have before. I've started collecting a small library of knitting books (which will be the subject of another post), I've started collecting a stash (still modest, but growing). I've started buying yarn online (and at my LYS), I've started knitting socks on my daily commute to work (more on this in a later post as well) and I've discovered the joys of laceweight yarn. I'm officially obsessed, and loving every minute of it.

I think I'm going to like this blogging stuff.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Andrea said...

Hi Leanne,
Great blog! I knew that with your obsession with reading blogs that you would start your own sometime. I think it will be great for other people to see what you're up to so that it's not just those of us in the knitting club who will benefit from your expertise.
I found your change of heart on the stole interesting, but I think it looks nice in the photo so look forward to seeing it in person at some point.
Andrea
PS- will show you my nearly-finished hat tomorrow.

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Bloggette,
Thanks for offering to make me a dishcloth in goth colours to suit my personality. I do love the haunted shawl you started. I commend non-pastel knitting and the complete overthrow of Phentex! I had thought Walmart was non PC, but hey, you gotta get yarn somewhere, and if they have cotton...

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home