> To Knit is Divine: Love that Garterlac

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Love that Garterlac

I took a break today from the stole to whip up a new dishcloth, using the Garterlac pattern. I know, it's not the same one I showed the start of yesterday - that one is still at the same state it was when I took a picture. I decided that it needed to be more colourful. I was at Walmart today and I picked up a few balls of Bernat Handicrafter cotton. It made a nice dishcloth, but is sure is hard on the hands. My hands are really achy after just one dishcloth.



I know a lot of people use Sugar and Cream for dishcloths, but I've never seen any around here. Walmart and Michael's both carry the Handicrafter; Yarn Forward carries Bernat Cottontots, which is nice but it only comes in pastels - and I can only handle so much pastel.

I really like the pattern - it's easy but fun. I usually make dishcloths using Grandma's Favourite Dishcloth Pattern, which is really simple. I've taught a lot of people to knit using this pattern.

I also balled up a skein of yarn for the stole. This is Knitpicks Alpaca Cloud in the Moss colourway. I ordered a swift and ball winder a couple of weeks ago, but it still hasn't arrived, so I used my old standby makeshift swift.




It does the trick, but it takes a while to wind by hand. I hope my swift arrives this week. I ordered it on July 20 and it was shipped the same day via USPS Global Airmail Parcel Post which, according to their website, takes 4 to 10 days depending on where in the world it is being sent. Apparently the capital of Canada is farther away than Outer Mongolia, because it has already been longer than that. The Track and Confirm feature showed no information until a couple of days ago, when I'm finally told that my package left Miami Airport on August 3. So it took 2 weeks to get it from Tennessee to Miami. Hmmmm.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I like your garterlac -- that's one of my favourite colourways! Looking forward to seeing how the stole comes out :-)

11:07 PM  
Blogger alltangledup said...

I have to admit that whilst I own a swift, I still often wind by hand because I'm too idle to set-up the darn thing. Having a swift makes all the difference with lace weight yarns though.

p.s. nice dishcloth

3:21 PM  
Blogger Leanne said...

That's why I ended up buying a swift - I've started using more and more lace yarn, and it's just a pain to wind without one. I manage but it takes forever and I always end up with the odd tangle to detangle.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home