> To Knit is Divine: A bit of this, a bit of that

Sunday, September 10, 2006

A bit of this, a bit of that

I headed back to work this week after my vacation. I must say, it's a lot easier to keep the blog updated when I'm not spending my day at the office. This work stuff really cuts into the knitting and blogging time.

The sweater is finished. I finished it last weekend and then wet-blocked it. I guess I didn't squeeze enough water out of it before I set it out to dry, because it took days to dry. Meanwhile, I kept having to move
it around because it was drying in places that I needed to use. I took a whole bunch of pictures this morning of the sweater being worn, but I'm not happy with how they turned out, so here are a couple of crappy shots:





Pattern: Heirloom Aran Pullover
Yarn: Knitpicks Wool of the Andes, Natural

I had some gauge problems and some fitting problems, but overall it's not too bad, and S is happy with it. I'm still not great with things that need to fit properly, but I'm working on it, so I'm sure I will improve in time.

I've got a couple of new things in progress. A bit of this:



And a bit of that:



I'm travelling next week for work, and the driver where I'll be is a new dad of a baby boy. I decided that I wanted to knit a baby sweater for him. I was going to make a side-to-side sweater using self-patterning sock yarn, but I haven't played with a few different yarns and haven't been happy with the results. One yarn I had is a bit too "girly", the Knitpicks yarn I mentioned last week is not soft enough, and even after washing it's still kind of smelly (not as bad, but still not baby-sweater smelling). So I was at my LYS yesterday picking up some yarn for my International Scarf Exchange project, and saw some really cute patterns in the Mission Falls Wee Knits book. I'm sort of making the "Crayons" sweater, but I'm going to make it a cardigan, and I changed the colours from the pattern. But I am using the Mission Falls 1824 cotton, which is aran weight, so it's knitting up pretty fast.

I'll try to get it finished before I leave on Wednesday so I can give it to him when I arrive, but if not I'll work on it during the trip and block it in the hotel and get it finished before I leave. I'll be away for three weeks, so it shouldn't be a problem.

During my trip I'll also work on the scarf for the Scarf Exchange. I have the yarn purchased (yummy Misti Alpaca laceweight in a beautiful shade of red). I don't have a pattern decided on yet, but with the help of Barbara Walker, I should be able to come up with something.

I'll try to update while I'm travelling, but I'm not sure how successful I'll be. If I can't I should have lots of finished things to show when I get back in early October.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Ellen said...

The sweater is absolutely lovely!

And just in time for fall!

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about work and comittments cutting into knitting time - I've got the same problem. Have a great weekend!
Your ISE Pal

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home