> To Knit is Divine: In praise of quick knits

Sunday, October 15, 2006

In praise of quick knits

I know, I know, I've raved about how much I like laceweight yarn and small needles. But I'll admit, sometimes it is fun to do things that are quick and easy. Such as the following hat I made for Dulaan:



Patt
ern: Brioche Stitch Watchcap from Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears
Yarn: 2 strands of Patons Classic Wool Merino, Colour 00207 (Rich Red)

Needles: US 11 (8mm)


In a couple of evenings the hat was finished. I have always loved the look of Brioche Stitch, but I have never used it before. I like this hat so much, I have cast on one for myself. One of the fun things about Dulaan knitting is that you don't need to fit a particular kid's head - it's sure to
fit someone. All that matters is that it's warm. And this hat will sure be warm! Two strands of worsted yarn is smaller than the "very thick wool" the pattern calls for, but I wanted a child's size anyway, so I cast on the number of stitches called for and knit away. It turned out just a bit small for me, so it will fit a big kid. And it's easy now to figure out how many stitches I need to cast on for a hat to fit me. So cast on I did.

But just a few rows in, I got sidetracked by a c
old-hands emergency. You see, a few months ago my partner took up woodworking, and we set up a little shop up in the attic. But now it's getting cold up in the attic, and no spouse of mine is going to suffer from cold hands. Not as long as there are sheep in the world. So the other evening we were discussing the temperature in the attic, and I decided that fingerless gloves were called for. Now. So I paused the movie we were watching (which of course is why we watch movies at home and not in the theatre. You can't pause a movie in the theatre for a cold hands emergency), zipped on the internet and quickly found a fingerless glove pattern (well, a 2-fingerless glove pattern, but I'm adaptable. I'm sure there are other patterns out there I could have used, but sweetie was getting impatient with the movie being paused). I pulled out some blue worsted-weight wool from the box under the couch that houses my measly excuse for a stash and casted on. One evening - one glove. Second evening and the pair was complete. Can't do that with laceweight :-)



Patter
n: Cigar from Knitty
Modifications: I made all of the fingers short, instead of two being full length as in the pattern
Yarn: Patons Classic Wool Merino, Colour 77115 (New Denim)
Needles: 3.5mm dpns


But you know you can't keep me away from laceweight for long. Guess what this is?



Yes, it's the beginnings of a duplicate of the scarf I sent my ISE Pal. I need one for myself! And I've had several people ask for the pattern, so I've done an electronic version of the chart (I had charted it by hand the first time, as the book only has it in written form, and it's a hard pattern to follow with written instructions only, but quite easy from a chart) and written up the pattern. I made a couple of slight adjustments in the chart, so I need to make it through one full repeat of the pattern to make sure all is correct and then I'll make the pattern available (free) on my blog.

And what is that modelling the nascent scarf, you ask? Why, that's my Hugg-a-Planet globe pillow.



Everyone needs to hug the earth once in a while.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Your Secret Pal said...

Great Hat! It looks just like the one on the cover of EZ's knitting without Tears, as it should! Love the fingerless gloves also, your spouse must be so pleased! How cute that your hobby/craft is enabling his !

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to email you, but it bounced back. Your scarf will be in the mail tomorrow.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Leanne, I need your email so that I can keep intouch with you about SP9!

Jenn- your SP hostess
SP9Hostess_Jenn At comcast DOT net

12:01 PM  
Blogger Amy O'Neill Houck said...

Wow, you've been productive!

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home