> To Knit is Divine: SP9 Questionnaire

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

SP9 Questionnaire

I'm on my way home - I'm writing this from the Zurich airport, between flights. I've been getting lots of knitting done - I'll update on those from home once I've semi-recovered from the travel and jet lag.

Meanwhile, I've had such fun with the International Scarf Exchange, I've decided to join the Secret Pal 9 exchange. Here is my questionnaire:

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I definitely prefer natural fibers. Lately I've been enjoying knitting with Merino and Alpaca. I don't like novelty yarns or really fuzzy yarns.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

My circulars, dpns and hooks are stored in ziploc bags in a plastic storage container. My straight needles are stored loose in the same storage container.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I've been knitting since I was a child - I learned from my mother. I guess I'd say advanced, although I still have lots to learn!

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

No

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)

I don't like strongly scented things. I definitely don't like scented bath products. I do like scented candles, but not floral scents.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

I'm trying to keep my sweets intake to a minimum - but a special treat once in a while is always welcome, in small quantities! I do have a weakness for dark chocolate - and that's almost medicinal, right?

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I don't spin. I don't really do any other crafts except knitting. I can crochet, but I don't do it very regularly.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I like most music, except country and religious music.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?

My favourite colour is definitely orange. All shades of orange. I also like greens (especially mossy and olivy greens), dark reds, neutrals. I like purples and blues, but they don't look great on me so I don't wear them much. I can't stand pastels and I'm not really fond of pink.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I'm married, and we have a 10-year-old dog named Macha

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

I don't wear ponchos. I wear hats when it's really cold (and it can get pretty cold in Ottawa in the winter. I do wear scarves and mittens/gloves (I have long narrow hands)


12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

Lace. I'm currently hooked on lace. I also like knitting socks, though I generally just do plain, toe-up stockinette socks as they're my commuting project and so mindless knitting is best.

13. What are you knitting right now?

A lace scarf (for the International Scarf Exchange), two pairs of socks and a dishcloth

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Indeed!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Circular (and dpns for socks). I never use straight needles anymore. I use mainly bamboo dpns and nickle-plated circs.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

yes to both

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

about 6 months.

18. What is your favorite holiday?

I don't celebrate holidays much. I'd have to say Hallowe'en, I guess. I don't celebrate Christmas.

19. Is there anything that you collect?

knitting books!

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I've just started discovering handspun and/or handpainted yarns and loving them. I'd love to try rosewood dpns for socks. I subscribe to Vogue knitting and Interweave Knits

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

Fair Isle. I haven't done it in over 20 years, and hated it because I was too slow at it. I love the look though, so I've started practicing English knitting without letting go of the needle (I knit Continental) so that I can hold one strand in each hand. I'll probably start with mittens, or some other small project.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

Yes, I knit socks. My feet are 10" long, 9" around the foot and 11" around the calf.

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

March 14

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home