> To Knit is Divine: Travel Knitting

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Travel Knitting

Long entry today. While I was travelling I had pretty slow internet access (when I had it at all) so I kept most of the pictures until now to show.

The trip is over - I am now back at home and pretty much in the right time zone.

One of the things I love about travelling is how much knitting time I get. Just the trip there and back yields hours and hours of uninterrupted knitting time. The trip home went like this:

Maputo Airport - 1 hour
Maputo - Johannesburg - 1 hour
Johannesburg Airport - 2 hours
Johannesburg - Zurich - 11 hours
Zurich Airport - 6 hours
Zurich - Montreal - 7 hours

Montreal Airport - 1 hour
Montreal - Ottawa (bus) - 2 hours

Total: 31 hours

Now, a non-knitter would see that as an infernally long trip. Well, so do I, but at least I can knit. My biggest fear is that they will uncover a planned terrorist plot involving knitting needles and they will get banned. I think if that happens I will need to change careers. I've heard that some security personnel can get over-zealous and won't allow knitting needles, even though they're specifically allowed (at least in Canada and in the US) but I've never had a problem. I only use circulars or dpns though - maybe straight needles seem more like weapons or something.

And then there's the knitting time while I'm there. Evenings alone in hotel rooms. Many hours in vehicles getting to remote places - all time to knit, knit, knit.

So, now that I'm back, do I have anything to show? You bet I do.

First off, my International Scarf Exchange scarf got started and finished and will be sent off to the recipient in a couple of days, along with a couple of extra goodies. I hope she likes it! It was a great travel project - small and lightweight, with an interesting pattern. I really loved working this pattern. I decided to keep it simple, with just a garter stitch border, to let the stitch pattern have all the attention.



Pattern: my own. The stitch pattern is Rose Trellis Lace from Barbara Walker's A Treasury of Knitting Patterns, Page 116
Yarn: Misti Alpaca Lace Weight, Colour 0588 (Red), 1 skein

Needles: Knitpicks Classic Circular, US 1, 2.5mm
Dimensions: 7" x 43" unblocked. 8" x 66" blocked

I showed the baby sweater I was working on when I left (and finishing on my first flight) in an earlier post, but here it is modelled by the recipient:



Pattern: Crayons from Mission Falls Wee Knits
Modifications: I made it a cardigan instead of a pullover (following the pattern for Colours, from the same book)
Yarn: Mission Falls 1824 Cotton, in colours 207 (Chili), 200 (Musk), 406 (Lilac), 401 (Chicory) and 204 (Lentil), 1 skein each
Needles: Knitpicks Options, 3.
5mm and 4 mm

I finished a pair of socks that I had been working on before I left:



Pattern: Wendy's Generic Toe-up Sock pattern, with a figure 8 toe and a short-row heel
Yarn: Socks that Rock lightweight, Colour: Falcon's Eye
Needles: 2.25mm bamboo dpns

I also finished another scarf that I had been working on before I left.



Pattern: My so-called scarf
Modifications: I cast on 36 stitches instead of 30. I added a fringe.
Yarn: Manos del Uruguay, Colour 105 (Lava), 2 skeins
Needles: Knitpicks Options, US 11 (8mm)
Dimensions: 6" x 62", plus fringe


I finished the ISE lace scarf on the way home, with many hours still to go. I had a new pair of socks on the go, but I don't like working on dpns on the plane. I'm a klutz at the best of times, and even more when I'm tired. I am forever dropping needles and needing to search for them. When you drop a needle on an airplane seat, it goes into a void, never to be found again. Ask me how I know. That's why I only use circular needles on the plane. Much harder to lose (though I did manage to leave one on the Swiss Air bus from Ottawa to Montreal. Upon my return, I asked about it. The bus driver remembered finding it and turning it in to Lost and Found where, I learned, they keep things for 2 weeks. It was a 3 week trip. I guess I'll be adding a US 4 tip and 24" cable with my next Knitpicks order)

So armed with some leftover yarn from the cotton baby sweater (including a ball of off-white that I ended up not using, as I didn't like it with the other colours) and Barbara Walker's A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns, I played around with some stitch patterns and created a couple of fun dishcloths



Pattern: Tilting Block Pattern, BW2, Page 263
Yarn: Mission Falls 1824 Cotton, Colour 102 (Ivory)
Needles: Knitpicks Options, 4.5mm



Pattern: Tuscan Pattern, BW2, Page 53. I cast-off using Elizabeth Zimmerman's Cast-on Cast-off from Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitter's Almanac, which I also had with me. I liked how the bottom and top edges matched, so I continued the embroidered look along the sides.
Yarn: Mission Falls 1824 Cotton, Colours 200 (Musk) and 401 (Chicory)
Needles: Knitpicks Options, 4.5mm

I currently have no big projects on the go (gasp). While I wait to be inspired (which I'm sure won't take long), I've decided to start on some Dulaan knitting. I've not done any charity knitting before, except for the hat I "designed" a Chemo Cap competition, which turned out so incredibly ugly it has been stuffed into a plastic bag in the bottom of my knitting basket until I can find the strength to look at it and unravel it. Yes, it really is that ugly. Hideously ugly. If you don't believe me, ask Andrea and Amanda from my work knitting group - they're the only ones who saw it. And don't ask me to show it, I think it would break my camera if I tried to take a picture. Some day I'll recycle the yarn and make something pretty out of it - but I'm not ready to face it yet.

Anyway, knitting kids stuff is quick and fun, and since I don't have any kids to knit for, I'll knit for some children in Mongolia. I signed up for Ryan's Dulaan 10,000 or Bust. Here's my first item:



Pattern: Child's Mitten
Yarn: Lang Jawoll Color Superwash sock yarn, colour 82.0030, doubled.
Needles: 4mm bamboo dpns

I bought this yarn when I first started making socks and then decided that I hated it and would never make socks from it. Makes cute kiddie mittens though - I may make a matching hat from it.

Yeah, I've done some knitting.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Sounds like a very productive trip -- wonderful FOs!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Welcome back! What a productive trip. Your FO's look great, especially that ISE scarf. You've got one lucky scarf pal!

1:11 PM  
Blogger tonni said...

Ilove that ISE scarf! Beautiful!

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Jenny said...

I saw the scarf in person and it was the most beautiful thing I`ve seen that Leanne has made. As you can imagine, this is saying alot as she had knit many lovely things since I`ve know her!

1:04 PM  
Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Saw your post on the knitlist and had to check out the scarf. It it GORGEOUS. Perfect choices on color and pattern. I can understand why a lot of folks would want your pattern - I know I do!

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home