> To Knit is Divine: 3 FOs to Show

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

3 FOs to Show

I have three finished objects to show today – two have been done for a while, and the other is more recently completed. I was waiting for a sunny day to take nicer pictures, but seeing as though we haven’t seen the sun in weeks here in Ottawa (it’s yellow, right? kinda orangish sometimes? I forget) and it feels like grey is going to be the ambient colour for some time to come, indoor photos it is. These aren’t in the gallery yet – I’ll try to get that done in the next couple of days.

Speaking of grey, first up is a grey watchcap:

Pattern: Brioche Stitch Watchcap from Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears
Yarn: 2 strands of Patons Classic Wool Merino, Colour 00225 Dark Grey Mix
Needles: Knitpicks Options US 11 (8mm)

(Note: Contrary to what the picture shows, the hat is not flat on top when worn on my head. The candle in the candle-holder, while a perfectly agreeable model, does suffer from being flat on top. I do not.)

I actually finished this hat a couple of weeks ago (when it was cold, before this mild, rainy, grey spell hit) and I seriously love this hat. I love the pattern. I love knitting it. I love wearing it. I made a red one a while back for Dulaan and decided to make one for myself. Are there others in my future? You betchya! I may even make a brioche stitch scarf to match the hat.

Next up is an earflap hat that I made for Rabbitch’s Hat Challenge:

Pattern: Basic Earflap Hat
Modifications: Different gauge; added basic fair-isle pattern, added applied i-cord edging
Yarn: Mission Falls 1824 Wool, 100% merino superwash
Colours: 04 Charcoal; 12 Raisin
Needles: Knitpicks Options 4.5mm

I’ll be sending this hat off in the next day or two so it gets there before the deadline.

I really enjoyed knitting this hat, and trying out some new things. I have been wanting to do some Fair Isle, which I haven’t done in many years. I’ve been resisting it, since I have memories of hating it and being horrible at it. So I decided to try it on this, and it wasn’t hard at all! Yes, it was a very simple pattern, but I thought I would find it really slow. I’ve read all sorts of stuff about two-handed stranding and I thought that was really the way to go. But I’m so slow with my right hand, because I have trouble doing it without letting go of the needle, and constantly letting go drives me nuts. Even though I originally learned that way, I’ve been knitting continental since I was 16 (and that’s more than a few years ago!) so I’m really much more comfortable with the yarn in my left hand. Then a couple of weeks ago I read a thread on the Knitlist where someone mentioned keeping both colours in the left hand, over the same finger, and just picking the right one. I tried that, and loved it. It’s fast and easy for me!

Also on this hat I did my first ever applied i-cord. After a couple of false starts, I got the hang of it. I like how it finishes the hat.

And finally, my Tomten for Dulaan:


Pattern: Modular Tomten Jacket from Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears
Modifications: Stripes and a crocheted edging up the front pieces and around the hood to make ties
Yarn: Patons Classic Wool (beige, lt blue, dk blue, red)
Needles: Knitpicks Options 4mm

This is so easy to make, and so very very cute. I didn’t have enough of one colour, so I added stripes. The size of the stripes was in direct relation to the amount of each colour I had on hand. I totally eyeballed it, and hoped I wouldn’t run out of any one colour. I didn’t.

I still need to add in a zipper, and I may even line it with fleece to make it even warmer. I’m also thinking of adding the red crocheted edging around the bottom and sleeves.

I have a few other WIPs that I want to get finished up. And then I need to make more socks. I just started making socks last winter. I have 4 pairs and my partner has four pairs. Since we both so love wearing my handknit socks, and we don’t do laundry every four days, I must make more socks.

Plus, I must make some dishcloths for my mother. I’m not sure why, but I think she needs some (Hi Mom!)

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Great hats! I'll have to keep that Brioche Stitch one in mind. I'm not a big hat person, but everyone should have at least one; right?

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Your Secret Pal said...

Ohhhhhh, I love the tomten jacket, I was just flipping through my EZ books last night looking for inspiration and thinking I should make a tomten for one my girls... Hmmmm and then I see yours.... I think the knitting goddesses are speaking to me!!!! LOVELY finished objects, you really are a fabulous knitter!!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Leanne said...

Dave - I'm not a big hat person either. I hate how most of them look on me. But since we do live in a cold climate, they do have their purpose! And I like how this one looks on me.

Pal - The Tomten is a great pattern, you won't regret it. The miles of garter stitch can get a bit on the boring side, but it's great for when you need some mindless knitting.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Dillye Pyckle said...

omg Leanne, that hat with the flaps is perfect! I can't believe you really made that! w00t! congorats! you are a such a great knitter!

!!

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home