> To Knit is Divine: Our own language

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Our own language

I haven't been much in the mood for blogging lately - even though I had 4 beautiful days off from work. I thought I'd be writing lots, but instead I've been really lazy and haven't done much of anything. I did do a list of things I want to blog about - there are 17 things on the list. Let's see how many I can get through before the end of the year!

I did want to share a great email exchange I had before Christmas. Stephanie wrote a great post the other day giving muggles (non-knitters!) hints for buying gifts for knitters. One other piece advice I can give (for next year, perhaps) is that you can always ask one of your knitter's knitting friends for help. Like my friend Andrea's boyfriend Paul did. See, Paul didn't do the "please give me some suggestions" email. Oh no, not Paul. Paul is a very thoughtful gift-giver. The exchange went something like this:

Paul: The first rule of knitting club is.... not to tell Andrea I'm asking for Xmas ideas :-). She said she wanted a needle case, and she's fascinated with your hoop that has multiple needle ends, so I'll probably get her a gift certificate from the place on Bank Street that she drags me to regularly. Any estimate as to cost for a) a needle case and b) the multiple-end hoop-flexibility thing to be named by you

I may also get her a pattern - is there any particular thing I need to know if I'm choosing a pattern for her? To use a totally inappropriate analogy, if it was something like a computer program, I'd need to know if it was Windows or MAC - I don't know if there are "schools of knitting" where if you get the wrong type, the person will have to convert the pattern to something else.

I let him know that the "multiple-end hoop-flexibility thing" was the Knit Picks Options needle set (see, I understand Muggle) that could not be purchased from the LYS but could be ordered on-line. I also advised him that the only "compatibility issues" for patterns was that it be a knitting pattern and not a crochet pattern. (Oh, and I also told him that my lips were sealed until she received her present - after that it was fair blogging fodder)

A few days later, I got another email from Paul:

I ordered the Options. Thanks :-)

Oh, and out of curiosity, I saw that there were hoops or circles, rounds, umm, something else like squares, straights? Are these all types of needles? Are there different types of patterns that correspond to each type of needle - is it something that I have to watch for when I buy a pattern?

My response:

There are three types of needles - circular, straight and double-pointed (dpns). There are two basic ways of knitting - in the round, or flat.

Flat you can do with circulars or straights. To make tubes from flat knitting, you need to sew up seams. Round you can do with circulars or dpns. This makes a tube, which requires no sewing up. Dpns are used for very small tubes (like socks or mittens, although there is a method for using circulars for small tubes as well)

Therefore, with circulars you can make pretty much anything (though individual knitters have their preference - personally, I haven't used straight needles since I bought my Options set). With straights or dpns you can only make certain things. Don't worry about it when you pick out patterns.

Paul: I think my brain exploded somewhere in the second paragraph.

I guess we do speak our own language :-)

Speaking of the power of knitters (I know, it's a stretch, but whatevah), if you're a regular blog reader, you've surely seen this over at the Yarn Harlot. If you're one of my readers who hasn't yet been hooked on blogs (Mom, my friends, anyone else), please go read about the amazing job we knitters are doing at raising money for MSF. And please think about joining in with the rest of us. You can read all about it here and here. And my fellow Ottawa knitter, Paula, is holding a little contest where you need to guess how much will be raised by December 31. Go send in a guess (I'll send you my guess tomorrow, Paula)

Well, that was only one thing off my list (the emails from Paul). Sixteen more to go by Sunday.

Edit: I forgot to link to Paula's site - I have now fixed this

2 Comments:

Anonymous Paula said...

I think my brain exploded somewhere in the second paragraph.

Hahahahaha! That was too funny. And thanks for the shout out, too.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Andrea said...

Leanne,
Thanks for providing great advice to Paul. The Knit Picks Options are great and I'm using them already. I'm glad you speak Muggle, and glad that Paul buys good gifts :-) I also got a gift certificate for the LYS from my sister, so I'm all set. Will show you the almost-finished baby sweater soon.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home